The passing of a loved one is an emotionally difficult time for family and friends. With this comes a time to bring the personal and financial affairs of the decedent to close. For those charged with the responsibility, administering the estate of a decedent can be daunting. The responsibilities are many, including but not limited to:
- Assisting with funeral arrangements;
- Gathering and securing assets;
- Arranging for probate of the will (or if there is no will, the court process of administration);
- Notifying banks, insurance companies and others of the death;
- Advertising the proper notices of death;
- Liquidating decedent assets;
- Working with beneficiaries and other interested parties in the distribution of assets;
- Paying off the decedent’s final debts;
- Filing estate tax returns and paying any applicable estate taxes;
- Filing appropriate reports with the local Register of Wills.
You do not have to shoulder these tasks alone – let our office help.